Whether it is an internship, volunteering, an in-kind donation, or cash donation, RWS is thankful for your support.
The Rockfish Wildlife Sanctuary internship program is an eight-week, unpaid position. These internships are an incredible introduction to animal care and nonprofit work: our interns are key members of our summer team, participating in critical elements of the Sanctuary’s work. We seek dedicated individuals who are passionate about wildlife, comfortable with animals, and ready to work hard for a good cause. About this position:
- There are three internships available for summer 2019. Internships are 5 days a week, 8-hour days, for 8 weeks. The first is May 17-July 12. The second is June 6-August 1. The third internship runs from June 21-August 16.
- Applicants must be 18 years or older.
- Applicants must have health insurance and be up-to-date on the tetanus vaccination.
- Applicants must complete the rabies vaccination sequence prior to the start of the internship. Scholarships available to cover the cost of this critical vaccination.
- Must have your own car for transporting animals to the sanctuary.
- Must have proof of up-to-date tetanus shot.
- We provide housing, as well as a $20 a day stipend for gas (housing may be a good distance from the sanctuary).
Daily tasks include:
- Hand feedings of baby mammals and birds
- Food preparation and distribution
- Cleaning: cages, dishes, laundry, mopping floors, etc.
- Patient intake and answering the phone
If interested, please send resume and cover letter (focusing on any experience and/or passion for wildlife/nature you have) to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 12, 2018.
A PhD Candidate in literature. A photographer. A landscaper. What do these diverse people have in common? All of them volunteer their time and expertise for Rockfish Wildlife Sanctuary. Without their incredible generosity–and that of dozens of others–Rockfish would be unable to function.
Here are some of the things that volunteers do at the Sanctuary:
- Build enclosures
- Feed baby animals
- Transport animals to and from the Sanctuary
- Go shopping for the Sanctuary’s food needs
- Fund raise
- Design educational presentations
- Provide marketing expertise
- And so much more!
Our volunteers are the reason we can offer quality educational programming and animal care in our area. If you choose to join us, we can promise a deeply rewarding experience. We’d love to find out how we can make the most of your skills and contributions, and how you would best fit with Rockfish’s needs. Please call (434-263-4954) or e-mail (email@example.com) to find out how you can help!
Please visit our donation page. Thank you!
OTHER WAYS TO HELP
There are lots of ways that you can help the Sanctuary’s work, even if you don’t have the money to donate today, or the time to be a volunteer or an intern. Here are a few things that keep us going!
Serve as a Board Member
Interested in guiding RWS further by being on our board?
Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our animals always need supplies to keep them healthy, fed, and warm. We need:
- LOTS of paper towels & plain Kleenex
- Animal transporters
- Bales of hay
- Blue pads (aka, “pee pee” pads, available at pet stores and other retailers)
- Gas cards for transporters
- Handwarmers to provide warmth to animals in transport
- Gift cards to grocery stores for fresh veggies and fruits for RWS patients
- Gift cards to area pet stores and wild bird seed suppliers
- Gift cards to Southern States
Shop or Donate an Item at the Greene House Antique Shops
The Sanctuary’s super volunteer, Candace Goodyear, has created a special space at the Greene House Antique Shopsin Ruckersville to help support the sanctuary. You can help the Sanctuary by buying an item or donating one to the Rockfish shop. All proceeds benefit the Sanctuary!